Lactose sensitivity is a problem for many babies because it can cause discomfort for them and frustration for parents. Not many infant formulas out there have been formulated for children with sensitivity towards lactose, so it can be hard to find the right formula for your baby. However, there exist some helpful infant formulas out there, such as the Similac’s Sensitive Infant Formula.
Review of Similac’s Sensitive Infant Formula
In this article, we take a look at what makes the Similac’s Sensitive Infant Formula stand out as a great infant formula for babies with lactose sensitivity.
The Similac’s Sensitive has a blend of various nutrients, such as:
- Vitamin E – this is a good nutrient that is important in skin development, as well as general growth and development for your baby. Vitamin E is found in many moisturizers out there, but this kind of Vitamin E is specifically tailored for babies and newborns.
- DHA – this is a common nutrient that is found in most baby formulas out there. DHA is known to be a nourishing nutrient for your child’s brain, allowing mental development to be supported thoroughly as much as possible. DHA is also found in breast milk and can help with your child’s thinking skills.
- Lutein – this nutrient is known for supporting a person’s eyes. We all know that babies don’t really get vision at first when they are newborns, but they develop this sense as they grow older in many months time. Therefore, lutein can help prepare their eyesight to have better health, which is important in their learning stages and mental development to discern objects properly.
- Prebiotics – another great thing you can find in the Similac’s Sensitive is prebiotics. It consists of nutrients that can help your child’s immune system to become stronger. Prebiotics can potentially protect your baby’s stomach from harmful bacteria by lowering the pH levels. They can also help the body to absorb minerals and nutrients much better when your baby consumes anything nutritious.
It has also been formulated for babies who have problems with lactose sensitivity, which may cause gas problems and discomfort. This is highly important because fussiness and gas can cause a baby to keep crying constantly, which might also disrupt their sleep cycle and slow down their physical and mental development. Other formulas choices for gassy babies are here
Each can of Similac’s Sensitive contains 34.9 ounces, which translate to about 43 bottles of 6 fluid ounces each. The expiration date of each can is at least 1 year after purchase, which is a very good thing so that you can be able to use it without much worry.
A good plus point for the Similac’s Sensitive is that it is made with non-GMO ingredients. This means that the ingredients are not genetically engineered and have been derived from totally natural processes. This also means that your baby is only getting quality and nutritious ingredients from a baby formula without the possible side effects of GMO ingredients.
If you support the non-GMO movement then the Similac’s Sensitive can be a great choice for your baby’s infant formula or milk. Not all baby formulas out there in the market are made with non-GMO products, so this can be a good choice for you.
Like most uniquely formulated products, the Similac’s Sensitive can give off a different smell because of its unique formulation. However, this is mainly because of the fact that it has been made for sensitive tummies. The smell is not that awful as compared to other formulas so that your baby will not be put off by it when they consume the baby formula.
Having a good smell is important because it will get your baby to accept the new infant formula easily as compared to an awful or off-putting smell. In the case of milk formulas that are for sensitive stomachs, having a different smell is inevitable, but it should not be totally awful or else people might not want to buy it again due to fear or worry.
Mixing the formula
In terms of mixing the formula, the Similac’s Sensitive seems to be a great formula overall in terms of texture. It does not produce clumps and clouds that can make the mixture a little off. This means that the powder in the formula has been purely made to a very good quality that will not compromise the health of your child.
While the formula is not a pre-mixed type, it is very simple to mix overall as compared to other pre-mixed types out there. In fact, you can even travel with this formula without the need to put it in the fridge – you just need a Ziploc bag for the powder and the water that you are going to use.
Who is it good for?
The Similac’s Sensitive can be ideal for your baby if they have the following conditions:
- Colic – this is a problem caused by gas, which can cause blockage in a baby’s intestine. This can cause your baby to cry excessively and continuously due to the pain. If your baby cries for more than 3 hours then this can be a sign that your baby has colic and may need a different baby formula specifically tailored to it.
- Indigestion problems – some babies have sensitive stomachs and they may have problems with indigestion. Most babies who may have this problem could be sensitive to milk protein, which can be found on both cow’s milk and breast milk. There are special formulations out there in which the milk proteins are thoroughly digested to make it easier for your baby to take in.
- Lactose sensitivity – many people are born with lactose sensitivity, which can be a bad thing. Babies are perhaps the most delicate to feed if they have sensitivity to lactose, so you should think about your baby formula carefully. Look for one that has an indication that it is ideal for babies with sensitive stomachs towards lactose, a common ingredient of cow’s milk.
- Gas and fussiness – this can be a symptom of colic or some other indigestion problem, as well as lactose sensitivity. If your child gets gas and fussiness more often, you should definitely switch your baby formula, or consult your doctor or physician on what should be fed to your baby for the meantime to avoid the gas and fussiness problems from worsening.
FAQ: Does Similac Sensitive Cause Constipation?
Constipation is a very tough medical condition, in which hard feces can form because of the difficulty of a person to eliminate. This condition is much harder for babies because they are less tolerant of pain than adults and older children. Therefore, you should definitely stick to a baby formula that will not cause constipation to your young one.
Many reviewers agree that Similac’s Sensitive does not cause constipation. Despite the awful smell, which is not really a strong smell as compared to others, it will not cause your child to get gas problems, which is why it has been formulated differently from other milk formulas for babies.
The Similac’s Sensitive Infant Formula is perhaps one of the most ideal sensitive formulas for babies that you can try if your child gets gas, colic and constipation problems with other milk formulas. What do you think – have you tried Similac’s Sensitive yet? What are your experiences? Comment down below!