What Is Gripe Water?
Not exactly something that you’d expect, gripe water does not come from the faucet or anything – it’s actually a combination of different herbs in a liquid supplement. Different kinds of herbal stuff such as chamomile, fennel, cinnamon, peppermint, lemon, clove and the like are extracted and are placed in the concoction and combined with sodium bicarbonate.
Gripe water can be bought as an OTC supplement and is normally used for babies for tummy aches, colic, hiccups, teething problems and much more. Basically, gripe water is something that you might have heard of from a parent who’s had trouble with their baby’s digestive system.
Does gripe water really work?
Yes, gripe water does work, provided that you definitely consider gripe water that has been made with only natural ingredients. Way back then, alcohol was a primary ingredient of gripe water (imagine how horrible it would have been) but nowadays, of course, alcohol-based formulas are not much around anymore.
Gripe water works by its ingredients that can help relieve stomach upsets. Some ingredients that have great positive effects on gas problems include:
1. Ginger – as a slightly spicy but flavorful and helpful herb, ginger is often included in soups, so why not include it in your baby’s gripe water to ease gas pain? One of the best natural gas relief remedies out there, ginger is good for maintaining healthy digestion for your little one, which can help if they have colic or fussiness.
2. Fennel – as a matter of fact, fennel oil is also a great gas reliever for babies, so it is no surprise that most gripe water substances do have fennel extract in them. They help a lot in easing the remaining gas in the stomach of your baby. It is also good for babies with colic so that they can feel relaxed on their intestines and fussiness problems.
3. Licorice – this herb is often combined with other herbs to form gripe water or some tea solution to help your baby have better digestion. It is usually combined with fennel and chamomile as a tea or just something to help your baby when they feel thirsty but their stomach feels bad.
4. Dill – as with other herbs, dill is good at soothing your baby’s stomach upsets. It works by helping digestion regulate normally by calming down the blood vessels of the intestines of your baby. It helps a lot for babies who are often crying due to fussiness.
Nipple Shields: Good or Bad?
Is gripe water safe for babies?
Yes and no (there’s no straight answer to that). The safety of gripe water largely depends on the following factors:
1. Make sure it isn’t made with alcohol. Anything that has alcohol may be a little too harmful to your baby since they have a super sensitive skin that’s not really at par with an adult or older children’s skin. Alcohol also has a drying effect on any human skin and that’s why they are not recommended for babies and children (unless they are to be used as a disinfectant). And since gripe water is something that is ingested and not just applied to skin…alcohol is definitely a no-no.
2. Consider a reputable brand. If you don’t pick one that has a known brand or doesn’t have a lot of good reviews, you might be in danger because you might not know what the ingredients are (and if they are true) and if the gripe water really works (and is safe for your baby).
3. Look for the list of ingredients. Knowing the list of ingredients can put your mind at ease. If they contain harsh chemicals that might be unhelpful for your baby (do look them up and ask parents or your pediatrician) then you should stay away from that gripe water.
4. Watch out for gripe water with glucose. Of course, a little sugar from glucose is okay, but if you also don’t want your baby to become diabetic in the future, you should go a little less for glucose-themed gripe water formulas out there. Yes, gripe water can be sweet and easier to feed if they have glucose, but your baby’s balanced nutrition matters more.
5. Check the instructions before you feed your baby. Most parents just feed the baby with whatever amount and that can actually be unsafe since there are instructions to make sure your baby is fed with just the right dosage. Since it is an OTC formula, it is still a form of medicine so your baby should be only fed with not too much or too little or else bad stuff might happen.
What is the best Gripe Water Brands for Babies and Newborns in 2019?
Below are our top picks for those who want the best gripe water brands if your newborn or baby is having some serious stomach or fussiness problems:
This gripe water formula is best for babies who are 2 weeks old or more, and it is known to treat babies with hiccups, fussiness, gas and colic problems. It does not contain parabens, dyes, and alcohol so it is very safe for your little one. There are actually two formulations: nighttime and daytime, depending on when your baby is supposed to be fed.
Containing ginger and fennel, this herbal solution is a good remedy for those who have tummy problems. Moms who are also breastfeeding their little ones can also mix it with their own breast milk for the baby to enjoy.
Also made with two versions for daytime and for nighttime, this remedy pack for gas, colic, and hiccups is a great discomfort reliever for babies. It contains 4 ounces in each bottle and both contain chamomile and lemon balm, both of which are very organic, soothing, chemical-free and kid-friendly.
The formula is also great for newborn babies so it is a must-have for those who are starting their journey to parenthood. It is also FDA-certified and does not contain sodium bicarbonate (which used to be used in older formulas) and also does not contain paraben, gluten, and artificial dyes or flavorings.
This pediatrician-recommended organic gripe water is good for babies who are suffering from colic problems as well as teething issues. It can also help to solve their problems with hiccups and tummy discomfort. It contains 4 fluid ounces per bottle and is also approved by the USDA as a non-GMO and organic gripe water formula (it does not contain soy, dairy, parabens, gluten, alcohol, and dyes).
Since it is organic, you should refrigerate it as soon as possible to avoid spoilage because it does not have preservatives (all organic stuff usually have a limited shelf life, in this case, 4 weeks only).
As gripe water that comes with its own baby dropper, this one is gentle and safe for babies who have problems with colic, stomach upsets, gas and the like. It is FDA-approved as gripe water for babies and it does not contain artificial stuff, animal by-products, gluten, wheat, dairy or soy.
Some of the active ingredients include ginger, chamomile, lemon balm, peppermint, blackthorn, fennel, caraway and much more – all of which are very organic and safe for your little one. They can also help with babies who are experiencing terrible hiccups and teething problems.
If you are a fan of baby products from Gerber, this is going to be a good choice for you. It not only has colic-reducing ingredients but it also has the well-known probiotic Lactobacillus, which is mostly found in non-dairy yogurt that can help with digestive problems. It also contains sunflower oil as an extract, which can help relieve stomach problems.
This colic drops bottle has a total of 0.43 ounces and can reach up to 50 days of 5 drops a day. It is also a non-GMO product so it is going to be safe for the baby and for the environment and reduce their colic symptoms.
As a gripe water formula that is clinically recommended by pediatricians, this 4-ounce formula contains lemon balm, chamomile, fennel, and ginger – four classic ingredients that are often found in gripe water as well as on most home remedies for gas problems. It is also not too sweet as agave syrup is used so that it will be okay for babies but will not ruin their glucose intake diet.
The formula is known to be effective against colic, fussiness and the like. It does not contain parabens, gluten (sugar alternatives are used), dyes, alcohol, and other harsh chemicals to remain safe for your baby.
This homeopathic medicine for gas and fussiness is good for babies who are at least 1 month old and above. It can give your baby up to 30 doses of gas pain relief and it does not contain preservatives so it is very organic in a way. It has natural active ingredients that can help target irritability, colic, bloating, gas pain and various discomforts of the digestive system.
Contained in a classic style bottle, this 7-ounce formula is good for gas relief, colic and acid reflux among babies. It contains no alcohol, artificial sweeteners, gluten, soy and other stuff that babies don’t need. Its ingredients include extracts of cinnamon, caraway, clove, dill, cardamom and much more (all of which are organic).
As a whole, gripe water is definitely a must-try when you are trying to find a solution for your baby’s irritability due to gas, colic and fussiness problems (and hiccups, too). We hope you find these picks useful when choosing the best gripe water. Remember, it’s still the best to consult your pediatrician before you give gripe water to your baby!