Are you a frequent traveler with your baby? If so, you may be looking for a decent car seat that can be convertible so that your baby will not only stay protected throughout the trip but will also be kept comfortable.
This is why you may be interested in the Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat, which can be a good contender (pun intended) for a car seat that will work well for your baby.
Here are some noteworthy features to say about the Graco Contender 65:
1. Front and rear positions. The car seat can be adjusted in either a rear-facing position for babies who weigh 5 to 40 lbs. or forward-facing position for toddlers who weigh 20 to 65 lbs. Having a convertible car seat can save you a lot of money and effort to buying a separate car seat for when your baby gets older into their toddler stage.
2. 5-point harness. There is a good amount of safety and assurance if your baby or toddler gets inside a 5-point harness system since it will help protect them against any impact or collision that may hurt or injure them while in the car seat.
3. LATCH and level indicator. For your convenience of installation, these two systems are included so that you can know when the seat is faced just right on its position, depending on whether you want it facing the front or the rear for your baby.
4. EPS foam. The protection that is offered by this car seat is quite okay due to the EPS foam and the side impact testing that it’s undergone to make sure your baby stays safe in the seat while the foam absorbs the shock and impact.
Pros and Cons
As with all baby car seats, the Graco Contender 65 does have its share of advantages and disadvantages:
1. It’s a convertible! As the name implies, the car seat can be converted to either rear-facing or front-facing depending on your child’s age. Babies who are less than 40 lbs. and are still young can use the seat in a rear-facing position and they can eventually use it in a front-facing position once they get older and reach the toddler age.
2. Maintenance is a breeze. The car seat’s washable parts are indeed very washable, and you can toss most of them in the washing machine, which makes for good maintenance and hassle-free cleaning method. This may be a good case for busy parents.
3. It has a cup holder. For babies who want to hold their drinks conveniently without spilling all over the car seat, there is a convenient cup holder that your child can use. Some other cheaper car seats don’t have cup holders.
4. The adjustability is good. The headrest and the harness are both very easy to adjust so keeping your baby strapped in the seat will be quite a breeze. In fact, when you switch from rear-facing mode to front-facing mode, it is actually easy to do as well.
5. You can save more money in the long run. Instead of having to buy a separate toddler car seat when they grow older, your convertible seat is going to do just fine as a 2-in-1 function baby and toddler car seat. It may look like it’s more expensive than a regular baby car seat but in the long run, you will be able to save more due to having just one product.
1. Strap and buckle design. This seat may be a little bit difficult when it comes down to taking off or putting. While this is understandable in a very durable product that has a convertible design, it can sometimes be a hassle to parents who are often in a hurry or don’t have a lot of strength to do so.
After all, most convertible car seats aren’t always meant to be taken off the vehicle, unlike the regular car seats.
2. It has no reclining feature. While not a major con, some babies and parents could be looking for a car seat that has a reclining feature for the young ones. If you are looking for a reclining baby car seat, this may not be for you, though.
Overall, we think that the Graco Contender 65 is a pretty good pick if you are looking for a convertible car seat. Convertibles are ideal for those whose kids are near their toddler stage and instead of buying a different car seat for their toddler stage, the convertible design of the car seat makes it easy for you to make adjustments.
If the strap and buckle design isn’t an issue for you, this car seat may be great for a long-lasting and durable car seat that is easy to clean, maintain, install, and that can protect your child from impact.