Usually made for diaper rash, baby powders have been a staple in any baby bag. During diaper changes, they come in handy to prevent your little one from having a diaper rash. Often moisture-wicking, baby powders are often used to soothe any kind of rash on a baby’s skin (even on an adult’s skin).
Here are some of the most common benefits of baby powder, as commonly said by parents:
1. It keeps the skin dry during high humid. Summer is often a humid season and could make your baby extra sweaty. This is why baby powder is used to add freshness to any baby or child’s skin, especially on their back, where they usually sweat more.
Sweating at the back could give them possible respiratory problems, such as colds and cough, so it’s important to keep that part dry. By having baby powder with you at all times during the summer season, you can help keep your baby (or child) healthy and away from cough and cold – just don’t over-sprinkle it to avoid getting it into their lungs.
2. It can prevent skin irritations. Because of the soothing effect of baby powders, it can help to prevent or calm down skin irritations on any part of your baby. This is because babies tend to have sensitive skin and are more often prone to rashes than adults.
Skin irritations, when left untreated, could make your baby uncomfortable and cry a lot. You can calm them down with some TLC – baby powders included.
Related post: Best Diapers for Sensitive Skin
3. Baby powder can help calm them down. Nothing else gets more frustrating than a baby crying endlessly while changing their diapers. This is where the baby powder can play a soothing and therapeutic effect since it can help with inflamed rashes.
4. It can help soothe diaper rash. The most common use for baby powders is for treatment of or prevention of diaper rash. Simply sprinkle some baby powder on your baby’s bottom and near the genital areas to help prevent rashes from happening.
A diaper rash is common if your baby lives in a very hot or warm climate, especially if it is very humid as well. It is also a needed item if your baby wears diapers more often. If it is unavoidable, it helps to add baby powder before you make the diaper change.
Related post: Best Baby Wipes for Sensitive Skin
What are the main ingredients of baby powder?
Baby powder, also called talcum powder, is usually made with talcum and/or corn starch. While it is also used in cosmetic purposes back in the days (and for little kids), baby powder is mostly used for baby diaper rash, as the name implies.
However, baby powder nowadays can sometimes be talc-free, since talc is a combination of various minerals. More often, baby powders do not contain as much talc as it did before, unlike today. Check the label first before buying and ask whether the powder is truly safe for babies (and how much to use).
Is Baby Powder Safe for Babies?
Yes, but you have to be careful. There are some studies that show that baby powder could be inhaled by your baby and perhaps cause some respiratory problems in the future, but the studies, fortunately, show mixed results.
Here are some precautions on what to do when using the baby powder so as not to harm your little one:
1. Don’t shake the bottle while you are in front of your baby. This can cause the fine particles to fly away and maybe enter your baby’s nose and lungs. It could cause some respiratory problems or breathing problems when they inhale it. Instead, shake it away from your baby.
2. Don’t go overboard with the baby powder. Too much baby powder could also cause breathing problems with your little one. Just enough baby would be okay to treat any area, such as their bottom or any affected area with a rash.
When to use baby powder?
Baby powder is best used for the following scenarios:
1. To treat diaper rash. It can be used on your baby’s bottoms and around the sensitive areas that are likely to get rash due to diapers. It can be especially useful during the summer season when the weather gets hot, or when you travel to a hot climate area or country.
2. To soothe any other skin rash. If your baby suffers from any skin rash other than their bottoms, it can also be used for that. For instance, there are baby powders that could help soothe prickly heat, which most babies get due to their sensitive skin.
Best Baby Powders For Your Little Ones
Here are some of our handpicked suggestions for baby powders:
As a hypoallergenic baby powder, this one is from naturally-derived cornstarch and comes in a traditional baby powder shaker that is rather easy to use. It is free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, dyes, and any other harmful stuff for your baby, so it is safe to use every single day. It is dermatologist-tested so it can be safe for all skin types.
It absorbs moisture quickly as well (making it good for diaper rash), so it can be used for keeping your baby’s skin smooth. Since it is hypoallergenic, the baby powder is okay to use for babies (and adults) with sensitive skin. The added Aloe and Vitamin E can also help keep your baby’s skin healthy and smooth due to the natural ingredients.
If you prefer something that is talc-free, this baby powder could be for you. It is only lightly scented so it is okay for babies who have sensitivity issues against fragrances. It can be used for diaper changes and even after bath time to soothe your baby’s skin. It can also be a preventive measure against diaper rash and other skin inflammations.
Since it contains no parabens, SLS, petrolatum, or phthalates, it can be safe for your little one. While it is talc-free, it is made with traditional cornstarch, which naturally absorbs your baby’s sweat and moisture, leaving their skin soft and rash-free. The baby powder is also hypoallergenic and is safe to use for all ages.
As a USDA-approved product, this means that it is organic with its ingredients. Two of its ingredients are organic chamomile and echinacea, both of which can be gentle to your baby’s skin. It can be used between diaper changes as baby powder to prevent rashes. It is free from harsh chemicals and it even has gluten-free options.
For those who want a fragrance-free baby powder, this can be an ideal one for them. It is also free from talc and cornstarch if you prefer a baby product like that or if your baby has allergies with such ingredients. It is also cruelty-free (not tested on animals) so it can be used by vegans out there.
As a traditional formula, this one targets diaper rash, skin irritations, and various other skin problems or inflammations. You can choose from a variety of package sizes such as 4 ounces and more. It may also protect your baby against chafing other than diaper rash.
For those who don’t want a talc-based baby powder, this could be worth a shot. It is also worth noting that the smell is only very light so it can be okay for those who have sensitivities against scents.
It even has odor-controlling ingredients so it can really help with baby diaper rashes. Three skin-friendly and protecting ingredients are included in the baby rash powder, which can also form a barrier to keep moisture away from your baby’s skin.
Yet another talc-free and organic product, this one is made with USDA certified organic ingredients. It is also fragrance-free for those who want an option without scents (and those who are sensitive to such). It uses organic arrowroot powder, cornstarch, rosemary extract, calendula extract, and kaolin clay.
It is made with non-toxic ingredients that can be safe for your baby and can help to soothe chapped, cracked or inflamed skin due to diaper rash and other skin irritations. We also like the fact that this baby powder is cruelty-free for all the vegans out there.
The antimicrobial properties of arrowroot powder could also prevent skin infections. Meanwhile, the kaolin clay is a natural mineral that could also help with inflammation and also soothe your baby’s skin.
If you are looking for a medicated baby powder for diaper rash, this could be your option. It uses a combination of zinc oxide and cornstarch to absorb skin moisture, protect it from diaper rash, and even soothe existing rashes. It can also help to calm down or soothe chafed skin.
Since it has a fresh scent, it can even be used as a baby powder after bathing your little one. It can also work well against prickly heat, which is commonly happening during the summer season. This baby powder is best for babies who are often getting skin irritations due to weather changes or due to sensitive skin.
Made with a fun and creative packaging that might catch your baby’s attention, this one is made with calamine, which can soothe any irritation that your baby may have, including diaper rash, prickly heat, skin chafing and others. Since the calamine dries out easily, it can help with humid weather or when your baby’s rash doesn’t seem to dry out easily.
Along with that, it uses traditional cornstarch as a moisture-wicking powder ingredient. It can also be used as a preventive measure against diaper rash (other than treating it, of course). It is also not very grainy contrary to popular belief (and unlike other baby powders out there).
This could also be an option for you if you want to look for a talc-free baby powder for your little one. The powder also has odor-reducing capabilities to mask away any stinky diaper odors.
As an organic baby powder that is NSF-certified, this one is also talc-free and it even contains aloe and argan oil to help keep your baby’s skin smooth and soft. The baby powder can also be ideal for babies who have eczema and sensitive skin.
It is even fragrance-free for those who have scent sensitivities. It has mild ingredients that will keep your baby’s skin smooth without over-drying it. What’s more, the baby powder is free from parabens, sulfates, GMOs, and the like, and it is also vegan.
In the long run, baby powders can be a helpful item when you are taking care of your baby or giving them a good old diaper change. Not only could it calm them down but it could also prevent or soothe diaper rash. We hope you liked our top picks!