Teething is a normal stage that most babies reach. In line with this, they may need a teething tool to help them ease the pain since we all know that teething can be stressful for your little one.
What is an amber teething necklace?
An amber teething necklace is a special kind of necklace that’s generally used for babies when they are in the teething stage. Succinic acid is present in amber, according to popular knowledge and belief, and because it is worn by the child, it is heated due to the natural body heat of a person.
After the heating process has been done, the succinic acid goes ianto the bloodstream of your baby, which is said to have pain-reducing capabilities. Baltic amber is commonly used for such necklaces, which contains 8% succinic acid.
Related post: How To Keep Baby Warm At Night
Does amber necklace help teething?
Yes, a majority of proponents of amber teething necklaces say that because of the succinic acid present in the amber necklace. For instance, it has the following:
1. Anti-inflammatory properties. When something is anti-inflammatory, it means it can ease the pain from a person, whether inside or out. Teething can cause pain to children and babies, and that’s why they may need something that has anti-inflammatory properties, such as the amber necklace.
2. Great for boosting the immune system. Babies and children tend to have weaker immune systems than adults and older kids, so it is good to have something to boost their immune system so that they will be less prone to sickness.
3. Has antioxidants. The use of antioxidants is to help them detoxify and flush out all of the bad stuff in their gut and in their body. Antioxidants are usually present in drinks such as tea and they can be good for the body to help keep away illnesses as well.
4. It has a calming and soothing effect. Because babies who are teething can feel pain and pressure, they need something that is very calming and soothing, such as an amber necklace. Due to the calming effect on their teeth, it will help to ease the pain.
Related post: Gripe Water: Is It Safe for Babies?
How to use an amber teething necklace
Here are the steps on how to use an amber teething necklace:
1. Fasten the necklace of your choice. It should fit just right on your baby – not too big or too small, and it should have a safety release mechanism to make sure it is easy to remove for keeping your baby safe from getting choked.
2. Distract your baby if possible. Most babies feel uneasy if they are wearing something around their neck and they may want to remove it at will, and it may also cause some terrible crying. Not to worry – just distract them with other activities to avoid that from happening.
3. Wait for a while for the necklace to work. Make sure that the amber necklace rests on your baby’s skin, not on their clothing, to make sure it really works.
4. During bedtime and naps, remove the necklace. All necklaces can be a choking hazard when you leave them unsupervised so you should definitely take them off when your baby is asleep.
5. Always watch your baby when wearing the necklace. As we mentioned before, a choking hazard can be made out of the necklace so it is important to watch over them and remove the necklace if they feel uncomfortable.
Best Amber Teething Necklace For Your Baby
Below are our top picks for the best amber teething necklaces for your baby:
This authentic Baltic amber complies to world standards and has been made in Lithuania. It can be a great alternative to teething toys and it is polished and crafted to be safe for your baby. It comes with its own semi-transparent pouch for you to easily carry it anywhere.
The length of the amber teething necklace is around 4 to 6 inches so it will fit most babies. To test if this is authentic, you can use the saltwater test by dipping the amber in water and confirming it is authentic if it floats.
As a teething necklace that comes in its own small box, this one is certified 100% Baltic amber as well and it has passed the Lithuanian Chamber of Hallmarking standards. There is also a safety screw clasp that is very much important to make it easy to put on and remove for babies and parents. The hand-knotting design makes it very simple to wear and take off.
The unique thing about the manufacturer is that 50% of profits from the amber necklace goes to care for orphans and their children in Kaliningrad, so you are practically doing charity work as well. It contains up to 8% succinic acid for its amber. To clean up this amber necklace, just use regular warm water and a clean cloth and do not use any other chemical or jewelry cleaner.
A complete gift set for your baby (or someone else’s baby), this one not only contains a Baltic amber necklace, but also other supplies, such as a silicone teething pendant, a pouch, and others. If your baby is not very responsive with amber, you can use the silicone pendant instead.
The Baltic amber underwent a 100% chemical-free process so it will be truly safe for your little ones. The amber necklace can work within 15 to 30 minutes of usage and it also has a safety screw clasp to prevent accidents. There are also 3 sizes to pick for your child’s convenience and best fitting.
Made with a slightly colorful variation from our other picks, this one is made with a safe knotting screw clasp as well. Completely made from genuine Baltic Amber beads, this necklace has 4 sizes available: 11.8 inches, 12.6 inches, 13.4 inches, and 14.2 inches.
There are also 7 designs that you can choose from – all with different shades of amber material but are all very authentic, containing a significant 3 to 8% of succinic acid.
Also approved with a Certificate of Authenticity for its Baltic amber material, this one has a lot of color ranges in the necklace so it also looks stylish. The necklace runs large so it will fit most babies with great ease and safety. Its size is from 12 to 13 inches in length.
Babies who are 4 years old and above can use the necklace just fine due to its fitting. Within 15 minutes, your baby can start to feel a soothing effect, so it definitely works. The safety detaching system also helps you to easily take it off when not in use.
This dark-colored necklace made of amber is available in 4 different shades and is also completely handmade. Babies above 13 months old can use it safely and it is quite loose when you wear it. There is a safety knotting as well so it will prevent your baby from choking from the necklace. Many people also found it passing the water test to know that it is authentic Baltic amber.
As a Baltic amber necklace for babies, this one has a slightly lighter color and it contains roughly 3 to 8% of succinic acid as well. Babies who are 9 months and above are the best fit for this necklace. It is also backed by a certificate of authenticity and it is quite sturdy in its construction without being too heavy for babies due to its durable cord.
This amber necklace has different lengths to choose from, such as 11, 13, and 15 inches so that you can pick the best size for your little one. It has honey rose color so it looks fashionable compared to other amber necklaces out there.
It also comes in a cute pouch that you can give as a gift to someone. There are also safety knots between each bead to prevent it from becoming a choking hazard.
As an amber teething necklace for babies, this one comes in both 5-inch and 6-inch sizes so you can pick the best fit for your baby. It is handcrafted and polished just fine so that the round beads won’t be able to hurt your baby’s skin. The construction has been praised by many moms as well and it is also backed by its sturdy corkscrew type clasp to protect the authentic amber.
To conclude, an amber teething necklace is a good accessory for your baby that may help them ease the pain when it comes down to teething. It is true that teething can be a painful experience, but with the help of a natural necklace like amber ones, you can help your baby get through the teething stage just fine with less worry.