Babies love their bottles and occasionally you will need to clean them before the next bottle is given. The best baby bottle sterilizers allow you to clean them with ease and ensure no bacteria is present. This greatly reduces the chances of infections and will ensure that your baby stays in good health.
Choosing the best baby bottle sterilizer is not the simplest of tasks and this is why we are here to help. We have chosen the top baby bottle sterilizers and looked at some of the most important features that you need to consider before choosing. This article will help you as a new mother with no real experience in baby care.
What is a baby bottle sterilizer and why you should use it:
Babies are fragile and extremely susceptible to any bacterial infection. This might make the baby sick and will also raise up the medical bills that you need to pay. The baby bottle sterilizer is a large bowl with the ability to clean all of your baby bottles. They are quite large, meaning that you have the ability to add more than one bottle. These sterilizers are not only ideal for the bottle but can be used for any objects that the baby will place in their mouths.
To reduce the chances of bacterial infections, it is wise to invest in one of these sterilizers. While hot water might be effective, it is not the best way to do this in your already dirty sink or in bowls that you have used to eat out of. The baby bottle sterilizer will simplify life and allow you the opportunity to have a clean bottle for your baby.
As the baby gets older, you will not need it anymore. Past the age of 2 years old, your baby might not need it anymore. This means that the baby is no longer as susceptible to these bacterial infections and the immune system has been bolstered with the ability to consume whole foods. At this age, the bottle will only be used occasionally when the baby is not yet off the habit.
Key features to consider when buying the best baby bottle sterilizer:
When it comes to your babies, quality is fundamentally important and you will definitely want the best for your baby. To ensure you get the best value for your money, we have setup this buyer’s guide to help you understand the most important features you need to be aware of. Here are the top features you need to consider when looking for your baby bottle sterilizer:
- Type: There are 4 types of sterilizers that you need to consider with each of these having their own benefits and cons. To help you in your decision, here is a small breakdown of each type:
- Electric: These are the most common sterilizers and they specifically work on the principle of steam to kill the germs. The electric sterilizers are easy to use and they will steam more than one bottle at a time. The process generally takes around 15 minutes and the bottles will stay sterilized for up to 24 hours with the lid closed.
- Microwave: These are a little cheaper, but they work on the same principle as the electric steamers. The microwave sterilizer also uses the heat to kill all the germs and will destroy microbes in the microwave. The only downside is that they do not necessarily keep the bottles clean.
- UV/Portable: These sterilizers are quite new on the market and they generally use the UV light to kill the microbes. Unfortunately, they are also quite expensive, but they should be perfect for traveling. These work with batteries and can be taken anywhere you need. We would recommend them for your car.
- Cold water: The cold-water sterilizer is not the best in our opinion and you need to use tablets to soak in the water. After that, you will submerge the bottles and make sure there are not any bubbles before washing them.
- Size: You will also need to consider the size of the sterilizer and if you have many bottles, the bigger models will be a great option to choose from. The bigger sizes are more expensive, but it will be much better to use the sterilizer once every day, instead of having to use it multiple times.
- Ease of use: Many of the sterilizers will need you to take apart some of the parts in order for you to get everything inside. This can certainly be quite time-consuming and looking for one that you simply drop the items inside will be the best option. The simpler it is to use, the easier your life will be.
- Durability: The type of plastic used is important and since you will constantly use heat, it could potentially weaken the plastic. We recommend looking for hardened plastic to ensure that your sterilizer will last as long you need it and save you money in the long term.
- Cycling time: Waiting is sometimes strenuous if you have a baby and you might have the opportunity to catch up on some sleep. The cycling time is important to look out for, but most modern sterilizers will run for around 6-20-minutes before you will be all done. The portable cleaners will be the fastest.
Top 7 baby bottle sterilizers of 2017
Now that you know what a baby bottle sterilizer is and you understand which features are the most important, you might wonders are the best. To help you in your search, we have selected the top 7 that will provide you with the best possible value for your money:
The Philips AVENT 3-in-1 Electric Steam Sterilizer is quite large and has the capacity of holding 6 bottles at a time. The process is swift and you only need to wait around 6 minutes for one cycle to complete. The sterilizer will shut off automatically and will keep all of the bottles sterilized for around 24-hours.
This electric sterilizer is quite durable as well and it has been made from durable plastic. All of the materials used in the construction are also BPA-free, which means that the sterilizer will be perfect for your baby.
The price is also quite affordable and we would definitely recommend it for parents with multiple bottles. It is worth noting that you need to wait 10 minutes after each cycle.
The Philips AVENT Microwave Steam Sterilizer is designed to be really affordable. Using it is simple and you need to place it in the microwave. The cycle takes around 2 minutes to complete and will keep your bottle sterilized for up to 24 hours as well.
This microwave sterilizer is quite multifunctional and you will have the ability to stream any of the baby’s items, including a pump. All of the materials are BPA-free and the Philips Company has been known for the durability of their sterilizers.
This sterilizer is really affordable and if you are looking to save some time, we would definitely recommend it. The lightweight design also means that you can take it along on vacations and trips.
The Munchkin Steam Guard Microwave Sterilizer is another affordable and extremely effective sterilizer. It can be placed in the microwave and has the capacity to hold 4 bottles and 2 breast pumps. The cycling process only takes around 2 minutes and will keep your bottles clean for up to 24 hours.
The construction is made from durable and BPA-free plastic and no latex has been used in the product. It kills around 99.9% of germs and the addition of a steam latch will prevent any steam burns upon opening the sterilizer.
We would definitely recommend it to others as a cheap and affordable option. Cleaning your bottles and breast pumps have never been easier.
The Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer is one of the top microwave sterilizers on the market today. It is made in the US from BPA-free materials and has the capacity to hold 4 normal or wide neck bottles. The plastic tongs can be used to remove the bottles without burning.
We love the fact that this sterilizer is so easy to clean. All of the parts will simply clip out and you may put it in the dishwasher to give it a good thorough wash. Simple tap water can be used, but we also recommend using filtered water for the best results.
This sterilizer is definitely recommended for the price and all of the top features.
The First Years Power of Steam Electric Steam Sterilizer is simple to use and can be used for not only bottles but toys as well. Simply place the bottles and toys inside and you will be ready to go. The sterilizer works extremely fast and all the parts can be taken apart for you to clean.
The sterilizer is quite durable and the Steam Tower technology is one of the most effective ways to kill all of the germs. We would definitely recommend this versatile and impressive sterilizer for any parent, but it is a little expensive.
The Kiddiluv Microwave Steam Sterilizer is one of the largest microwave sterilizers you will find. It has the capacity of holding up to 6 bottles, but the cleaning process is very fast. Simply place the machine in the microwave and your bottles will be fine after 5-7 minutes.
This sterilizer is very lightweight and made from BPA-free plastic. It can also be easily taken apart and placed in the dishwasher if you need to have it cleaned. It might be a little more expensive, but the addition of 2 extra bottles that can be cleaned will simplify your life.
We would definitely recommend this to any new parents looking to get quality and value for their money.
The Baby Brezza Baby Bottle Sterilizer and Dryer Machine is one of the most advanced sterilizers on the market today. It holds up to 6 bottles with all their accessories and the cleaning process takes around 8 minutes to complete.
This sterilizer also includes a drier that can be set to dry your bottles in sterilized conditions and this will range from 30-60 minutes depending on a number of bottles you have inside. The sterilizer will keep your bottles sterilized for up to 24 hours.
It is one of the most expensive sterilizers, but we definitely recommend it for the value and all the features. If you have the funds, we would recommend this one as the best you can buy.
Are you ready to give your baby a clean and sterilized bottle?
Now that you have the information, there should be no reason for you to give your baby less than the best. Reducing bacterial infections have never been easier and with these sterilizers, you will be saving a few bucks on your doctor’s bill each month.
Please let us know in the comment section if you have used any of these sterilizers, or if we have missed any of your favorites.